DemoParty Compo with MilkyMist
This mini-project consists in developing a compo on the Milkymist platform that will present Sanobot, the toxic gas sensor and Twitter bot of /tmp/lab, a hackerspace set up close to a chemical factory.
We look forward to presenting it at demoparties (unfortunately it was not ready for Main#4).
More info on Sanobot:
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=446 : presentation of the project
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=509 : some tech info
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=517 : more tech details
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=577 : some results
- http://www.twitter.com/sanobot : Twitter feed
More info on Milkymist:
- http://www.milkymist.org : project homepage
- http://www.milkymist.org/doc/paper_overview.pdf : technical overview
- http://www.tmplab.org/wiki/index.php/FPGA_Workshop : workshop on FPGA System-on-Chips
What is a Demoparty:
- From Main Demoparty site:
The challenge: create, alone or in teams, a digital work according to aesthetic, technology and platforms, pushing the boundaries of programming to make it the lightest possible.
- We will compete under the Wild Compo rules:
- playing time: max. 5 min. if it's boring, or if the audience complains, we will stop it.
- highest resolution: 1280x720 (PAL 720p recommended)
- AVI, MPG, or DVD format allowed
- supported video codecs mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4 (DiVX, XViD, h264, WMV)
- supported sound codecs: uncompressed PCM, MP2, MP3
- Bring the real hardware to proof its working native
For now there is no artwork, nor ideas but if you want to be part of this, fell free to edit the "We need you" section and put your name under your favorite task(s).
- Mailing list: http://lists.milkymist.org/listinfo.cgi/devel-milkymist.org
- Repository: http://github.com/lekernel/milkymist-democompo/tree/master
- HOWTO: http://lists.milkymist.org/pipermail/devel-milkymist.org/2009-September/000121.html
We need You
- Artwork designer
- Kiniou (I'm not really a true artist but I put my name just in case)
- We need more!!!
- Music composer
- The music is quite done by now :) Thanks Alban.
- Multimedia (2D/3D/Sound) developper
- Kiniou (mainly 2D/3D)
- We need more!!!
- <your name here>
- Lekernel (FAE)
Put your wonderfull ideas/sketch/links here
Debriefing from meeting with kiniou
--Alban 08:24, 4 September 2009 (PDT)
- General Theme : We could use Sanobot.
- Visual option : 2D plain forms, kind of cartoon / manga (Kiniou : links ?)
- Still working on it ;) -- kiniou
- Script proposal : 3 phases
- Duration : 3 minutes
- A . Sanobot data as raw / random numbers flowing on the screen
Graphics : monochromous, greenish Visuals : Numbers retrieved randomly from csv and scrolling / zooming Sound : gloomy and experimental synths pads Idea : start with something strange that will make sense only later
- Question : Can we modulate rythm of numbers apparition and their scrolling speed with music analysis ? Ex: no music, no number. Loud : larger font. Bass : slow scroll.
- Question : Can we define a length for such a sequence, have it render to screen randomly for a given duration ?
- B. Sanobot as a technical system
Graphics : colourful, fresh Visuals : illustrations of sanobot character, manga style animations Sound : rythmic, funky, acid Idea : Present sanobot, what it does / how it's built
2. Sanobot in action
A. Sanobot data : from random to graphics
Graphics : fresh illustration in front of monochrome background Visuals : sanobot character dancing in front of the csv numbers now showing the date : proves they're organized Sound : mix of both preceding style Idea : show the numbers seen in 1.A. are not random but organised
B. Sanobot in its environment
Graphics : colourful, fresh Visuals : illustrations of sanobot character, manga style animations Sound : rythmic, funky, acid ( harder than before ) Idea : why it's called sanobot and presents its enemy : the mighty Sanomonster, Master of All Toxic Wastes
- A. Sanobot data : from graphics to communication
Graphics : fresh cartoon style Visuals : sanobot character dances as we see the data being distributed on a network Sound : rythmic music at full pace Idea : show the numbers seen in 1.A. are being distributed worldwide in a meaningful objective
Note : this part should use modulation of visuals depending on graphics as every other A. parts
- B. Sanobot in the future
Visuals : Many sanobots appearing. Sound : Cool synth pads, atmospheric Idea : Show how we'll see more sensor systems built by people in the future