DemoParty Compo with MilkyMist
This mini-project consists in developing a compo on the Milkymist open hardware system-on-chip platform that will present Sanobot, the toxic gas sensor and Twitter bot of /tmp/lab, a hackerspace set up close to a chemical factory.
We look forward to presenting it at demoparties (unfortunately it was not ready for Main#4).
More info on Sanobot:
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=446 : presentation of the project
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=509 : some tech info
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=517 : more tech details
- http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=577 : some results
- http://www.twitter.com/sanobot : Twitter feed
More info on Milkymist:
- http://www.milkymist.org : project homepage
- http://www.milkymist.org/doc/paper_overview.pdf : technical overview
- http://www.tmplab.org/wiki/index.php/FPGA_Workshop : workshop on FPGA System-on-Chips
What is a Demoparty:
- Mailing list: http://lists.milkymist.org/listinfo.cgi/devel-milkymist.org
- Repository: http://github.com/lekernel/milkymist-democompo/tree/master
- HOWTO: http://lists.milkymist.org/pipermail/devel-milkymist.org/2009-September/000121.html
- Devtools Debian packages (supersedes above mailing list post): http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=637
We need You
- Artwork designer
- Kiniou (I'm not really a true artist but I put my name just in case)
- We need more!!!
- Music composer
- The music is quite done by now :) Thanks Alban.
- Multimedia (2D/3D/Sound) developper
- Kiniou (mainly 2D/3D)
- We need more!!!
Put your wonderfull ideas/sketch/links here
Debriefing from meeting with kiniou
--Alban 08:24, 4 September 2009 (PDT)
- General Theme : We could use Sanobot.
- Visual option : 2D plain forms, kind of cartoon / manga (Kiniou : links ?)
- Still working on it ;) -- kiniou
- Script proposal : 3 phases
- Duration : 3 minutes
- A . Sanobot data as raw / random numbers flowing on the screen
Graphics : monochromous, greenish Visuals : Numbers retrieved randomly from csv and scrolling / zooming Sound : gloomy and experimental synths pads Idea : start with something strange that will make sense only later
- Question : Can we modulate rythm of numbers apparition and their scrolling speed with music analysis ? Ex: no music, no number. Loud : larger font. Bass : slow scroll.
- Question : Can we define a length for such a sequence, have it render to screen randomly for a given duration ?
- B. Sanobot as a technical system
Graphics : colourful, fresh Visuals : illustrations of sanobot character, manga style animations Sound : rythmic, funky, acid Idea : Present sanobot, what it does / how it's built
2. Sanobot in action
A. Sanobot data : from random to graphics
Graphics : fresh illustration in front of monochrome background Visuals : sanobot character dancing in front of the csv numbers now showing the date : proves they're organized Sound : mix of both preceding style Idea : show the numbers seen in 1.A. are not random but organised
B. Sanobot in its environment
Graphics : colourful, fresh Visuals : illustrations of sanobot character, manga style animations Sound : rythmic, funky, acid ( harder than before ) Idea : why it's called sanobot and presents its enemy : the mighty Sanomonster, Master of All Toxic Wastes
- A. Sanobot data : from graphics to communication
Graphics : fresh cartoon style Visuals : sanobot character dances as we see the data being distributed on a network Sound : rythmic music at full pace Idea : show the numbers seen in 1.A. are being distributed worldwide in a meaningful objective
Note : this part should use modulation of visuals depending on graphics as every other A. parts
- B. Sanobot in the future
Visuals : Many sanobots appearing. Sound : Cool synth pads, atmospheric Idea : Show how we'll see more sensor systems built by people in the future